National University of Ireland, Galway
The National University of Ireland was founded in 1845 as Queen’s College Galway. By the Irish Universities Act (1908), Queen’s College Galway became a Constituent College of the new National University of Ireland, and under a new Charter the name of the College was changed to University College, Galway. Since the 1960’s the University has experienced significant and continuous growth, both in its stock of buildings, facilities and physical resources and also in the numbers of its students and staff.
The Medical School was one of the original Faculties in Queen’s College, Galway, and for the past one hundred and fifty years, Galway-trained doctors have provided expert medical care to patients in Ireland the United Kingdom, the United States, and in many other countries.
Clinical Skill and concern for the patient have always been characteristic of Galway medical graduates. The application of modern technology and research are essential elements in modern medical education and form an important component of the course.