MSc in Medical & Health Sciences
In line with the nation’s push for developed status, there will be increasing demand for candidates with postgraduate qualification to drive the country to the next level of development.
Postgraduate research opens up whole new pathways for students to grow and develop themselves as they are able study and specialise in their areas of interest. There will be opportunities for students to present their research findings in international conferences, where they will also meet other famous scientists or researchers.
The IMU Faculty attracts first-class teaching staff from Malaysia and abroad, fostering a broad range of active research programmes in its campuses in Bukit Jalil and Seremban.
Much of its success stems from the Faculty’s capacity to attract external research funds via its strong national and international connections. IMU staff have a strong record of major international contributions in their respective fields and are very experienced in supervising postgraduate students. Some of our alumni have also been successful in securing placements as research fellows in various institutions in Malaysia as well as Germany, Taiwan and so on.
At IMU, students will have access to the current literature including online databases to keep abreast with the latest development in research. Students will not only be exposed to the latest techniques and equipment but also be trained in using various tools, for instance software and algorithm in data analysis.
2 years (part-time)*
*Students must fulfill the criteria as approved by the Senate in order to graduate within the minimum duration.
A. ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS
B. ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
|Applicants are required to have obtained:
|For Malaysian Students
|For International Students
The following categories of students are exempted from the above requirements:
APPLICATION & REGISTRATION FEES
|Malaysian Student (RM)||International Student (RM)|
|Refundable Caution Deposit||2,000||2000|
|Student Association Fee per Semester||40||40|
- All IMU alumni who are self-funding their postgraduate studies and meet the eligibility criteria will be eligible for a 15% bursary.
- Application fee is payable upon submission of application.
- Registration fee and refundable caution deposit is payable upon acceptance of the offer letter issued by the IMU Admissions Office.
- Students must adhere to the “Policy on Payment of Fees“.
- For information on Student Visa Application fee, please check the “Visas & Immigration“
|Tuition Fee per Semester||5,500|
|Tuition Fee per Semester||10,750|
- Total duration:
- 1 – 4 years (full-time)
- 2 – 6 years (part-time)
- There are 2 semesters in a university year.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Postgraduate School of IMU offers the Master of Science (MSc) in the fields of Medical Sciences and Community Health and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Medical and Health Sciences.
Both programmes are research-based and the degrees will be awarded by the IMU on the successful completion of a thesis. Examination is by assessment of the thesis, the research on which it is based and a viva voce.
Semester contents are available in the programme brochure [Download Brochure]
- Minimum of 1 year (2 semesters)
- Maximum of 4 years (8 semesters)
- Minimum of 2 years (4 semesters)
- Maximum of 6 years (12 semesters)
- Minimum of 2 year (4 semesters)
- Maximum of 6 years (12 semesters)
- Minimum of 4 years (8 semesters)
- Maximum of 8 years (16 semesters)
The selection of supervisor(s) will depend very much on the research area and be based on mutual agreement between both parties. The principal supervisor must be engaged within IMU whereas a co-supervisor can be from any established institution. All supervisors are subject to the credentialling guidelines of IMU.
The degrees will be awarded by the successful completion of a thesis. Examination is by assessment of the thesis and includes an oral examination concerning the thesis and the research on which it is based. The evaluation comprises examination of the thesis and a viva voce.
The areas of expertise of the IMU faculty are as follows: IMU academic staff members who supervise the research candidates have wellestablished reputations nationally and internationally in their areas of expertise. These senior faculty take part in international conferences and are in touch with key researchers form other countries.
- Environmental Health
- Human and Medical Genetics
- Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Chronic Diseases
- Community Health
- Building-Related Illnesses
- Clinical Research
- Infectious Diseases
- Psychology (Clinical Psychology, Educational Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Health Psychology, Sports Psychology, Industrial/Organisational Psychology, Criminal Psychology)
IMU academic staff members who supervise the research candidates have well-established reputations nationally and internationally in their areas of expertise. These senior faculty take part in international conferences and are in touch with key researchers form other countries.
- Admission as a candidate for the degree of MSc.Applicants are required to have obtained:
- A bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent, as accepted by the HEP Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.50 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment; or
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA of 2.50, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
- Admission as a candidate for the degree of PhD.
- A masters degree accepted by the HEP Senate; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a masters degree that are accepted by the HEP Senate.Note:
i. There shall be no direct entry from bachelor’s degree level to a doctoral degree level.
ii. Candidates registered for Master’s Degree programmes with at least CGPA 3.67 at bachelor’s degree level may apply to convert their candidancy to the doctoral degree programmes subjected to:
a) having shown competency and capability in conducting research at Doctoral Degree level.
b) approval by the HEP Senate.
English Language Requirements
All students are normally required to provide written evidence of their ability in the English Language in order to study in IMU. The standard English Proficiency requirements are usually overall band score of IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 550 (PBT) or 79 (IBT) or MUET band 4.
Throughout the year
- Applications for admission are accepted continuously throughout the year.
- An interview with the faculty is required and is part of the evaluation process.
- The completed application and all supporting materials (transcripts, research proposal) must be on file before the application can be processed and evaluated.
- Successful applicants are notified of their acceptance by letter.
ENQUIRIES? CONTACT US
Interested in applying for this programme?
You will be required to submit a research proposal to [email protected]. Once your research proposal has been reviewed, our Admissions personnel will contact you.
If your proposal is accepted, you can proceed with submitting an application via our online application system. Kindly prepare the following documents prior accessing the system:
- Verified copies of your academic qualifications
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- A copy of your MyKad or the identification page of your passport
These supporting documents needs to be attached electronically to your application. Please note that all of our programmes require payment of a non-refundable application fee after the application has been submitted. Application will only be processed once the payment for application fee has been made.
We wish you all the best with your application, and hope we will be welcoming you into the programme soon!
WHY STUDY MEDICAL & HEALTH SCIENCES AT IMU
An Established Private Healthcare University
Renowned and Highly Experience Faculty
“The IMU postgraduate programme leading to the MSc and PhD in Medical and Health Sciences is primarily obtained through research. Research areas include bioactive molecules, vaccine and drug development, therapeutics, pharmaceutics, cellular mechanisms and molecular basis of pathogenesis, clinical research, community based health issues, nutrition and dietetics, behavioural studies, and medical education. Supervisors are highly experienced faculty members with impressive track record in research and international recognition.”
PROF CHU WAN LOY
Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies
BSc (Hons) Biochemistry (UKM), PhD (UM)