ABOUT THE NURSING SCIENCE DEGREE
In this modern era of an extremely competitive environment in both the local and global healthcare industry, the advancement of nursing through nursing education has become a necessary requirement. This has resulted in the development of the IMU Bachelor of Nursing Science (Hons) programme.
The Bachelor of Nursing Science (Hons) programme is specifically designed for registered nurses. This programme aims to equip the graduate practitioner with the necessary skills for a variety of roles within a modern healthcare team. It has created an opportunity for registered nurses to continue working while they pursue the programme to upgrade their professional qualification to a bachelor degree.
This programme focuses on the importance of an adult learner and reflective learning. The reflective learning processes will lead to the development of a caring IMU graduate practitioner, who will perform evidence-based practice with professionalism and is ethically sound. This programme is also designed to further strengthen other important skills including interpersonal, team-working skills and self-directed learning.
Students who have completed their SPM can pursue a Diploma in Nursing offered by the International Medical College (IMC) prior to studying this degree. Find out more about this programme from the IMC website.
|Local||Diploma in Nursing
Registered with Nursing Board Malaysia (NBM)
Possess a current Annual Practising Certificate (APC)
Minimum three (3) years clinical working experience
|International||Diploma in Nursing
Registered with the Nursing Council of the country of origin
Possess a current Temporary Practising Certificate (TPC) from the Nursing Board Malaysia (NBM) before clinical placement
Minimum three (3) years clinical working experience
Possess valid IELTS with minimum band score of 5.5 / TOEFL with minimum score of 215 / 80
Able to converse in Bahasa Melayu
APPLICATION & REGISTRATION FEES
|Malaysian Student (RM)|
|Refundable Caution Deposit||1,000|
- Application fee is payable upon submission of application.
- Registration fee and refundable caution deposit is payable upon acceptance of the offer letter issued by the IMU Admissions Office.
- Students must adhere to the “Policy on Payment of Fees”.
- All students are required to pay Student Association Fees of RM40 per semester.
|TUITION FEE (RM)|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
IMU Nursing Department has developed a new two-year (6 semesters) modular undergraduate, Bachelor of Nursing Science (Hons) Programme for registered nurses.
Students are given an option to complete the programme between two and four years. This programme aims to equip the graduate practitioner with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitude for a variety of roles within the healthcare team.
It recognises the importance of the student as an adult learner who can draw on his/her work experiences, through the reflective learning scenarios integrated in the curriculum of this programme. The reflective learning processes will lead to the development of a caring IMU graduate nurse. This programme is also designed to further strengthen other important skills including inter-personal and team-working skills and self-directed learning.
Semester contents are available in the programme brochure [Download Brochure]
The Learning Outcomes – reflects the 8 Outcomes of IMU
On successful completion of the Bachelor of Nursing Science (Hons) Programme, the graduate practitioner should:-
- Enhance his/her practice by the application of new competencies and theoretical knowledge
- Critically and constructively debate professional issues
- Incorporate professional standards, ethical guidelines, legal mandates and professional activities into advanced nursing practice
- Contribute to evaluation, improvement and development of practice
- Develop teaching skills in both the classroom and clinical areas
- Develop skills as clinical supervisor and role model in order to facilitate the development of others
- Appreciate the role of the graduate healthcare professional as advocator, manager and visionary leader, educator and researcher
- Incalcate life-long learning
Implementation of the Programme
- The programme will be implemented in the IMU Bukit Jalil campus
- Based on a modular approach over 6 Semesters: 4 long (21 weeks each) and 2 short (10 weeks each) Semesters
- Two modules will be implemented for each semester
- At the end of each module, there will be an assessment
- It is important that each student has a computer and is computer literate
- VENuS: Virtual Education for Nursing Science (VENuS) is an Online Learning Management System designed by IMU for the teaching and learning of nursing students
- Each student will be given a CD with Module Guides and reading materials
- Academic Discussion: This is an online discussion. Students will be given a topic to discuss and encouraged to participate fully. Students have to reflect on prior experiences and knowledge from the readings to develop a healthy discussion
- Reflective Learning: At the end of each unit, the student will be required to write new strategies to improve the working environment and the nursing profession
The medium of instruction is English. Students who come from a system of education in which the medium of instruction is not English are strongly recommended to improve their proficiency in English. They could make their own arrangements to attend additional English Language classes before entering the IMU.
Applicants should possess the following qualifications:
- Diploma/Certificate in Nursing or its equivalent, AND
- Registered with Nursing Board Malaysia or Nursing Board of country of origin, or its equivalent
- Possess relevant current Annual Practicing Certificate/License
- Minimum 3 years of working experience
The IMU will award the Bachelor of Nursing Science (Honours) degree on completion of the programme. This degree is recognised by the Malaysian Nursing Board and the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
Yes, IMU offers the subjects taught in the Bachelor of Nursing Sciences programme as short courses. 10 Continuous Professional Development (CPD) points will be awarded by Nursing Board Malaysia to the successful completion of each short course.
ENQUIRIES? CONTACT US
Interested in applying for one of our programmes?
You will need to prepare the following documents for your application:
- Verified copies of your academic qualifications
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- A copy of your MyKad or the identification page of your passport
These supporting documents needs to be attached electronically to your application. Please note that all of our programmes require payment of a non-refundable application fee after the application has been submitted. Application will only be processed once the payment for application fee has been made.
We wish you all the best with your application, and hope we will be welcoming you into one of our programmes soon!
“Welcome to this very innovative programme. IMU has designed this programme to develop registered nurses like you. You will be able to effectively respond to the challenge of change within the healthcare delivery system and to innovations in nursing practice. You will develop skills as clinical supervisor and role model in order to facilitate the development of others”
CHANG WOAN CHING
Lecturer & Programme Director
R N, Critical Care in Nursing (UMMC), Bsc (Monash), Master of Nursing (OUM)