Visas & Immigration

International students who wish to study in Malaysia must apply for a student pass. You can only apply for a student pass if you intend to study a full-time course in Malaysia. Student Pass is not issued for part-time courses. Typically, a student pass is valid for one year (or part of a year), depending on the country which issues your passport. The University’s Student Visa office will manage your student pass application.

Please take note that it is the prerogative of the Malaysian Immigration Department and the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) to approve or reject any visa application.

If you have any enquiries on visa related matters after office hours, you can contact our Visa Hotline Number at  03-27277484

Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS)

The Ministry of Higher Education, has established the Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) as the one-stop centre to process student pass. As of part of this arrangement, EMGS will coordinate student pass application and the arrangements for medical health checks. A visa application fee will be charged.  The fee includes EMGS processing fee, medical insurance, health examination, i-Kad, multiple-entry visa, SST 6%, and visa office administrative charges.




International students who wish to study in a Malaysian institution must apply for a Student Pass before entering Malaysia. Conversion of a Social Pass (Tourist Pass) is STRICTLY not allowed. Student Pass application takes 8 weeks for approval. This duration is just an estimation and it is dependent on EMGS and Immigration Department.
Students who are holding the following passes are exempted from applying for the Student Pass and Visa:

  • Malaysian Permanent Residents (PR) – with Malaysian identity cards

In the event of any changes in visa policies, it is pertinent that students abide with the conditions set.


Applying for your Student Pass

Upon receiving the Letter of Offer, students must ensure that they accept the offer before the deadline by making payment for the necessary tuition fee and visa application fee as stated in the letter. Also, we advise that all documents are sent to us three (3) months before the intake date. It is important that you follow the guidelines strictly to avoid delays in your visa application. The University holds no responsibility for late submission.

Students who apply less than 3 months before intake date will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please refer to our staff from International Marketing ([email protected]) for more information.

Documents required for Student Pass application 

  • Student Pass / Visa processing fee of RM2,500; fee is paid to EMGS (non-refundable) via IMU
  • Completed Health Declaration Form
  • 6 passport-size photographs (white background – size 3.5cm X 4.5cm)
  • 2 photocopies of passport (ALL pages including blank pages. Passport copies should be clear and printed on single-sided A4 paper).
  • Please ensure that your passport has a validity of at least 18 months from intake date.


Other important documents

  • A copy of Release Letter, including attendance & academic record and visa cancellation letter with an acknowledgment from EMGS/Immigration (for applicants transferring from other institutions in Malaysia)
  • An original copy of Sponsorship letter
    (for applicants financed by scholarship/sponsorship/study loan)
  • A photocopy of School Leaving Certificate
    (for applicants graduating from high schools)
  • Statutory Declaration confirming identity
    (for applicants with names spelt differently in academic transcripts and documents)
  • Resume/Character Reference Letter
    (for applicants above 23 years old, required by the Malaysian Immigration Dept.)
  • No Objection Certificate (NOC) (for applicants from South Sudan)
    or Letter of Eligibility (for applicants from Iran) and scratch card (for Nigerian students)
  • A photocopy of your Resident Pass (for expatriates residing out of country of origin)


Your Student Pass has been approved!

Upon approval by EMGS and Malaysian Immigration Department, a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) will be issued. The Student Visa Office will send a copy of VAL to your email address or to your official representative (if you apply via IMU official representative).


Entry Visa and Yellow Fever vaccination certificate

Single Entry Visa (SEV) with VAL reference is required for selected nationalities entering Malaysia as students. Nationals from most Commonwealth countries do not need to apply for a Single Entry Visa. Normally, there will be a fee imposed if you apply for a SEV. Any fee incurred will be borne by the student. Please visit the Malaysian Embassy/Consulate Office in your home country for confirmation to avoid a fine or being turned back at the airport.

Students from yellow fever endemic areas (e.g. Africa, Central & South America) are required to take the necessary inoculations. The vaccination certificate will be verified by the Malaysian Health & Quarantine officers at the airport.

As a “Tier 6-Outstanding” rated higher education institution, IMU students do not need to wait for IMU staff to meet/ escort them through the Immigration desk. Please present your VAL and a copy of your offer letter to the Immigration official in the airport. You will be given a temporary pass stamp in your passport. A temporary pass is only valid for 14-30 days. Please ensure that you check the validity given on your passport before leaving the Immigration counter.


New Student Pass, Visa Endorsement and Health Screening

You MUST report to the Student Visa Office located at the Admissions & Marketing Department within seven (7) days of your arrival. We will advise you on how to proceed with the Post Medical Health Check and to get your Student Pass endorsed.

Your passport will be submitted to EMGS for student pass and visa endorsement. This process takes 4-6 weeks. Do not to make any travel plans until the endorsement process is completed and your passport is returned to you. The Student Visa Office will issue official identification documents to you whilst your passport is being endorsed at the Immigration Office.

Endorsement will only be given once you have passed the post medical health check. EMGS reserves the right to request a repeat test should there be any doubt in the findings of the initial medical report. You may appeal and redo the test but additional cost will be incurred and borne by you. Should the report fail for the second time, you will be refused a student pass and are required to leave the country before the temporary pass expires.

Also, it is your responsibility to hand in your passport for endorsement. Failure to do so will result in you overstaying your temporary pass and be classified as illegal immigrant by the Malaysian Immigration Department.

Overstaying is a criminal offence under Malaysian law. It will have serious consequences for any future immigration applications that you make, including applications for countries other than Malaysia. It can result in imprisonment and deportation.



Managing your Student Pass

Typically, a Student Pass is only valid for 12 months. You are fully responsible for renewing the pass if studying beyond its expiry date. Do take note that Malaysia penalises students who overstay. You should apply to renew your student pass through the Student Visa Office at least 3 months before your pass expires. Documents required are as follows:

  • your passport
  • one (1) photocopy of passport (ALL pages)
  • one (1) passport-sized colour photo with white background (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
  • visa fee payment of RM1,000

The visa fee of RM1,000 includes the cost of insurance premium. Renewal process takes approximately 10 – 12 weeks. Please consult the Student Visa Office staff for advice before making any travel arrangements. There will be additional charges for late submission of visa renewal.


Changing course or institutions

Application for a new Student Pass is required for following circumstances:

  • progression (foundation studies to undergraduate level)
  • change of programme (within the same university)
  • transferring to another institution

The above processes require payment of processing fees and other related charges which will be borne by the student.


You have a new passport

If you renew or change your passport for any reason, please visit the Student Visa Office immediately. Your student pass will be deemed invalid in your old passport. For this reason, you have to transfer your student pass to your new passport.

Please bring your old and new passports to the Student Visa Office for further advice. There will be charges incurred for this process. Transfer of student pass takes 14 working days.


Cancelling your Student Pass

One of the immigration regulations is to cancel your student pass when you complete your studies with us, withdraw from a course or transfer to another Malaysian institution. You may seek advice from the Student Visa Office prior to submitting your passport for this purpose.


For student pass cancellation, you need to submit:

  • your passport
  • two copies of the passport information pages, latest Student Pass page and last Malaysian entry-stamp page
  • a completion form (if you have completed a programme) or a withdrawal form(if discontinuing your course)
  • your departing air ticket
    – only to home country or residing country(to provide proof of residency)
  • your offer letter from your new institution (if transferring)
  • a cancellation fee of RM153 (fee is paid to EMGS via IMU)


Malaysian Immigration can take up to 14 working days to cancel your pass. Please seek advice from the Student Visa Office before purchasing your flight ticket.




Cert No: KLR 0500119