The International Medical University (IMU) recognises the importance of achieving sustainable development and to create long-term shared value for our students, staff, community and ultimately to secure our future
As part of the IHH Healthcare group, we are committed to ensuring responsible and sustainable management which includes the following pillars:
Our People, Our Patients, Our Organisation, Our Environment and Our Community.
Environment is also one of the key pillars under our IMU Cares programme with the aim in creating sustainable environments through research and conservation efforts to nurture an environmentally responsible society.
Energy Conservation Programme
The University’s Facilities Management and Administration (FMA) department manages the functionality and maintenance of the building and centralised administrative resources required by the organisation. The adoption of Planned Preventive Maintenance (PPM) approach allows the University to ensure the efficient use of energy within its facilities. This includes good maintenance establishment, optimal operational system controls for efficient performance and timely renewal of major energy consuming equipment.
Continuous upgrades and refurbishment of the University are in various stages of implementations – short, medium, and long-term.
- Energy saving campaign in which staff and students are to switch off lights, split-unit air conditioning and electrical appliances after use (ongoing)
- Upgrading of light fittings into energy saver light bulbs (completed in 2019)
- Replacement of aging motors into HEM motors (completed in 2019)
- Retrofit existing escalators with sensors (2020)
- Monitoring and maintaining chillers temperature at 47°F for optimal performance (ongoing)
- Purchase of electrical products that are Energy-star compliant (ongoing)
- Installations of BAS to control and monitor equipment operation (planning)
- Participation in the World Earth Day annually to create greater awareness on energy conversation (ongoing)
- Deployment of energy-star laptops to replace all standard desktops including the replacement of 809 Laboratory desktops with all-in-one computers to reduce power consumption and increase efficiency (Year 2016-19).
- Energy-smart saving mode has been enabled on all devices to ensure energy conversation during period of inactivity.
- Migration of systems to cloud service hosted at Green Data centres are currently ongoing.
Water Conservation Programme
Upgrade works have been carried out within the facilities to use water more efficiently. Posters on conserving water are placed in restrooms to remind users to close the taps when not in use. In line with World Water Day, awareness campaign is also shared through the University’s digital platforms such as facebook, twitter, Instagram etc.
The University has provided recycling bins around campus and encourages both staff and students to be socially responsible and separate their wastes.
Aside from this, the University had launched its e-waste campaign under the IMU Cares programme in collaboration with the Recycling Club and MPU4 programme in year 2017 and has been ongoing since. Educational materials to enhance awareness amongst the IMU Community were created and developed by both staff and students. These includes posters, animated video, bunting, leaflets, campaign teasers, etc.
“How to Recycle your e-Waste” – click here to watch
A series of seminar and workshops were also conducted for continuous education and outreach.
To support this effort, the University opened its doors as a venue of collection for the community. In 2019, a total of 7039 kg was collected and sent for recycling.
Being a city campus, designated parking areas for students and staff have been arranged for the ease of accessing the campus. Shuttle busses have been arranged to support the travels of staff and students between the campus, corporate service office and parking areas. This is part of the efforts to reduce pollutants and traffic congestion in the surrounding area.
Chartered busses and the IMU Van are also made available to transport students for community service activities, events and field trips.