What are Self-Development Programmes?
Self-Development Programmes aim to encourage students to learn to develop themselves and plan for the future by becoming more self-aware. Students in IMU are introduced to these Self-Development Programmes through orientation programmes, outreach programmes, ongoing workshops and talks, sand tray, and self-discovery through cards.
The Aims of Self -Development Programmes
The aims of the Self-Development Programmes are to help the students by:
- Increasing the students’ self-awareness.
- Helping students to create a plan to acquire the skills they may need for their academic studies or their chosen career path.
- Empowering students with soft-skills which emphasize on memory, reading, and critical thinking.
- Help increase positive emotions by learning positive coping strategies through positive psychology.
- Helping students to learn relaxation techniques.
- Empowering techniques in decision-making skills, team bonding, and communication skills.
- Empowering students with the ability to manage feelings and behaviour.
The Outcome of Self-Development Programmes
Through the Self-Development Programmes, students would be exposed to the following outcomes.
- Reflecting on their own learning styles, ongoing performance and achievements.
- Learning to capitalise on strengths in planning their all-round personal, educational and career development.
- Identifying and addressing areas for development & setting goals.
- Engaging in positive behaviours.
- Learning to tap into mindfulness skills to manage their emotional care.
- Conversation skills to enable them to say what they need and to listen to others’ viewpoints.
- Improving and strengthening their coping skills.
Self-Development Programmes for Students
The Self-Development Programmes are introduced through the “Students Development Programmes” which are introduced to the students via orientation programmes, a collaboration between the faculty and the Self Development Unit (SDU), promotion through social media, and upon requests.
|No||Topics of Workshops||Coverage Areas|
|1||Adjustments to Campus Life and Personal Safety||Self-awareness|
|2||My Behavioural Style||Knowing yourself|
|3||Senior Sharing Study Skill||Study skills|
|4||What’s Your Journey||Motivation|
|5||Study Skills Workshop||Study skills|
|Ad-hoc Sessions, Talks and Workshops|
|8||The Five Love Languages – Managing Relationship||Relationship|
|9||Public Presentation Skill Training||Presentation Skills|
|Custom Made Workshops|
|11||Choosing your Career||Career Planning|
|Open Day Workshops|
|12||How to Choose a Career – Based on John Holland RIASEC Theory||Career Guidance|